Saturday, July 16, 2005

Oompa

yo...is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory out in the UK?

i went to a professional baseball game tonight--the cincinnati reds to be precise. and we won 4-3. it was excellent. free tickets complements of a miss tara gatliff.

i love baseball games. it's all about the atmosphere. the beer guys walking up and down the rows screaming, "GETCHA BEER HEEEERE. BUDWEISER. BUD LIGHT. MICHELOB LIGHT. GETCHA BEEEER." or the little ice creams that they serve in the plastic miniature baseball hats. or the fireworks that they set off when someone hits a homerun (there were two Red's homeruns tonight). the tradition of the 7th inning stretch as everyone sings "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." the wave as it circles the stadium (and circles and circles and circles as was the case tonight--there do need to be wave limitations people). love it. as soon as i arrived i got myself a cold brewsky and a hotdog and settled myself in to my stadium seat and enjoyed the game--with a few random outbursts just to keep those around me on their toes. if you've never been to a game, make sure to give it a try, atleast once.

Take Me Out to the Ballgame lyrics:

Take me out to the ballgame;
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks;
I don't care if I ever get back.
So just root, root, root for the home team;
If they don't win it's a shame.
'Cause it's 1,2, 3 strikes you're out at the OLD-BAAAAALL-GAAAAME.

Learn it and love it you crazy brits and please spare me your schpiels about the historocity of football, rugby, and cricket. OOOOOOOOOUCH. WICKED BURN.

10 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

Aside from cricket i'm afraid to say that baseball has pretty much every other English sport licked on the old atmosphere front. I've never been to a game but everyone i know who has raves about 'the atmosphere' - though curiously they don't say much about the actual game. Hmm...

Anyway when I do manage to get to the good US of A, I shall be going to a baseball game.

And Brit - what does 'historocity' mean?

How are you anyway? Hope the craic is good. Take care.

R

11:16 pm  
Blogger Brittney said...

woops--sorry that's historicity--not historocity. heh heh.

2:37 am  
Blogger andyd said...

So Britster...you're telling me that despite you being American, I, a truer than true British citizen, went to a live baseball game BEFORE you did? I almost feel ashamed. I also have the kudos that the game I went to was at the cathedral of Fenway Park. GO SOX!

I've rigged up to go to the Reds when I'm in Oxford in a couple of weeks with Christian...at that point I will once again have been to more games than you. We Brits just know how to have a good time!

5:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it wasn't my first game ever Dixie Cup! i was just reminiscing in the glory that is a baseball game. my daddy used to be a sports broadcaster brutha...so i would frequent games when i was little, being that we got in for free and all.

6:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as it was not my beloved Detroit Tigers that lost i'm glad you had a good time!

11:31 pm  
Blogger Rich said...

'my daddy used to be a sports broadcaster' - you are never short of surprises ms lenhoff. Thankyou.

And Magnum - is that the Gary Wallis Maggers we all know and love in Liverpool?

R

12:51 am  
Blogger andyd said...

A sports broadcaster AND an airline worker. Is there anything your dad hasn't done? =o)

6:09 am  
Blogger Brittney said...

you'd be surprised. he's a man of ambition. ha. rich---i'm full of a lifetime of surprises.

1:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baseball, huh? I once heard of this sport during my travels to your planet. I believe it involved stuffing your mouth with as many elephant shaped marshmallows as you could. Of course when I participated with a few cheerly locals I had met, I ended up easily winning since my mouth expands to the size of a watermelon allowing me to consume lots of fresh vegetation on my home planet of Quaxanar. Yep, that's right I'm a real live alien posting on your blog Brittney! What? You didn't know we had the internet in outer-space? Well, we do, but for some reason I get better wireless reception when I'm in McDonald's then I do when I'm aboard my "mothership." That's okay though because I love their Sausage 'n Egg Biscuits, but I can't stand the weird looks I get when I go in there. It could be due to the fact that I have a 7 foot long trunk hanging down my face to the floor or that I just landed my spaceship in the parking lot, I'm not really sure. It doesn't stop me though because those biscuits are worth it. Well, I am passing into another galaxy right now so my transmission will have to stop. Over and out.

4:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KQuotionhian XZaariona!!!! Hello my old friend. I haven't heard from you since that 'incident' on Philiaxiobab a few years ago - how did that work out?

I've given up on McDonalds myself - theres nothing quite like a Starbucks now. It takes all of my superior alien intellect to order my double-fat, extra creamy cappuccino, with a rasberry and beef topping, but - its worth it. Surely you guys have one on Quaxanar now?

Well KQuotionhian its time to leave. A triple thumbed salute to you all.

7:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home