Thursday, November 10, 2005

pretty typically while engaging in an evangelistic conversation i talk about how our works will never make us good enough to work our way into a right relationship with God. soooo, you know? i throw a couple of examples out there about the good things we might do, which usually includes the token, "walking old ladies across the street."

it was just an example--something that i had never done--but seems more of what a very moral and considerate human being in the 1940's would have done.

today my life has changed and i believe that i have joined the ranks of a dying breed--i walked an old lady across the street.

i got off of the bus on my way back from campus and began my usual trek up church road toward the homestead and there she was standing next to a lightpost. she's wearing very large eyeglasses, which also seem to be relatively thick and she turns to me and says:

Lady: Excuse me. Could you do me a favor?

Now, not that I don't enjoy little old ladies--but the size of her eyes--due to the glasses made me a liiiiiittle leery about saying yes. I'm not trying to be evil, just honest.

Brit: Uuuuuum, sure.

Lady: Could you please escort me across the street to those taxis?

Brit: You want me to walk you across the street?

Lady: yes please.

Brit: I can do that.

I walk over and this sweet little woman links arms with me and just starts asking me about my life as i begin to look up the street for coming cars--she also tells me that she knows someone from cleveland, ohio. she started to step out on the curb as a taxi is flying down the street and i pull her back and begin to put the pieces together as to why she asked me to walk with her.

now, i can finally say in evangelistic conversations with complete integrity that i, brittney lenhoff, have walked a little old lady across the street. i'm a little bit excited about that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Alasdair said...

That's awesome. I once walked an old man across the street. And that's the end of that story.

12:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

deja vu all over again, i think i heard that story once before... oh yeah movement prayer! well done Brittney I might use it in evangelical conversations e.g. I know someone who once helped an old girl across a road... score!

12:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh, they can be sooo temperamental...
I once escorted what I first thought was a lovely old woman across a street in my village. Upon reaching the other side she began to shout and pelt me with her purse, screaming obscenities before re-crossing the street and resuming her walk.
Whats that all about?

4:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i once walked an old lady half way accross a street.
does that count?
j.

10:50 am  
Blogger Brittney said...

johnny--can i call you johnny?

no.

that doesn't count.

nice try though.

1:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home