i've been thinking a lot lately--
and the same subject seems to keep springing to the forefront of my mind.
i like a guy who can wear pink.
amazingly enough, this subject has come up approximately three times in the past couple of weeks with three different people--and not at my own intiation (except maybe once).
i just don't get what you're so afraid of men? is it that you'll be mistaken for a baby girl, if you wear that light hue. maybe you're afraid that you won't be able to match that fuschia polo with a nice pair of trousers and shoes. maybe you feel like your complexion will look yellowish if you're caught sporting this variation of red. or maybe you just feel like you won't be able to pull it off.
my suspicion, however, is that ya'll are just afraid that someone may think your too light for your loafers if you wear anything of the sort.
i say, 'RUUUUUUBBISH.'
you don't see girls avoiding the color blue just because it's associated with boys, do you? you don't see girls diverting their eyes from the football on the pub's big screen simply because her girls might just think she's too boy-ish for her own good. girls don't avoid boy things because they're afraid of being "too boy-y."
and you just can't bring yourself to wear a color for heaven's sakes.
the other day while talking to a fella at john moore's a guy called mike approached our table very proudly wearing a light pink polo. this was our first meeting ever and immediately i knew i respected and liked the guy. i said, "you know mike...i really like a guy who can wear pink."
to which he replied, "yup. just means that i'm comfortable with my sexuality."
DING. DING. DING.
guys either way, you know yourself--i'd hope anyway. who cares what the little scally pack on the 75 says? they're 12. or that your football mates take the mick out of you? really? they're just jealous of your confident ways.
i'd like to give big ups to my brothers who done the fairer sex's socially determined hue.
real men wear pink.
although a little blurry, a different mike that i've known for a while is looking SMASHING in my argyle pink scarf. way to go different mike!


22 Comments:
YES! I completely agree with you! I can go so far as to say, the more comfortable a guy is, the more daring he is even with the pink... like a friend of mine that wore paisley pink shirts... how cool is he? Confidence is key. :)
Brittney - You may prefer men in pink, but I believe that you need to get with the times and realize that pink is, in the words of Hilary Duff, "so yesterday." And yes, I did just admit that I know the lyrics to a Hilary Duff song, but hey I'm a real man and can admit that I know that catchy little tune. Anyway, if you haven't noticed yellow is the new pink. While it may have been brash and daring for guys to wear pink a few years back, yellow is the new color for guys to wear that screams "hey I'm a man and I don't care if I look like an Easter egg." I'm sure you probably noticed two of your male teammates, who are pretty fly for being white guys, doning the color of the sun today during the cultural training time. So, Miss Lenhoff, while it may have been dashing for men to wear pink for a few years in the 80's and for one summer about a year and a half ago, I'm afraid to say it's on its way out the door again and those still wearing it need to update their wardrobes to the color yellow.
Your local fashion expert,
Bo "Stylez" Archer
I just don't like bright colors adn also my background is gruff northern man, fashion full stop is wrong as far as I'm concerned
I'm baaa-aaaaack! Brit - a few flash backs just for you. Sorry I'm a slacker. Love you!
haha, burrell. i'm glad you recognized that you were included in one of those 3 conversations.
those arguments still aren't good enough for me.
I wear pink. A lot - I like it, I especially love the pink shirt/tie combo I often wear to weddings.
GOOD MAN MO.
GOOD MAN.
you get big ups.
you should recruit other boys into the bliss that is male pinkdom.
NO NO NO NO NO.
Men should NOT wear pink. And not because I believe thay should leave the dainty, nancy pancy stuff to girls...
OH no no no: PINK IS HORRID!!! I HATE PINK. If colours could be exterminated, well that one would be. I'd see to it myself. Single-handedly if need be.
:shudder:
mike YOU'RE DEFEATING THE PURPOSE OF MY ARGUMENT.
::eyeroll::
does no one read this thing? do ya'll just head straight for the comment section?
As my associate Bo Archer stated ... pink had its day, but then so did overalls with one strap undone. Canary yellow is the new "hey I'm metro look at me in my aviators, my tight pants, and my pastel shirt that lets all the girls know that, yes, I am sensitive but oh no not 'safe'" So if you see pink and a five o'clock shadow you are either talking to Scott Baio of Charles in Charge or the bearded woman of Circus du Soleil rather than a man who is riding on the edge of the metro revolution. So if it is confidence you desire women, let's remove the pink training wheels and mount the canary yellow 10 speed and ride to victory!
Sounds a bit Metro to me
I agree with you Brit and so do the designers at J Crew who added pink to the men's fall color palate this year. However, I think there are some limitations to this particular hue on males. I think it can be summed up quite simply actually. If the item of clothing has a collar...you're good to go...if not...think twice. A pink t-shirt on a guy? Dodge. I still haven't come to a conclusion about crewneck sweaters. All I have to say is that British men really can't say too much against this color (or colour). HELLO you wear lavender...which is a VERY close cousin to pink.
I'm not sure that a collar is a definitive thing to be honest ash. A pink poloneck for example. No. No. No.
Mo, I couldn't agree more. Polonecks, or turtlenecks as we say in American, are also something to stay away from. A collar with buttons (preferably dress or polo style) is more the style I'd go with. See Maurice - even though you admit to wearing pink, you also realize there are limitations to sporting this color. Way to go.
i seriously love my blog.
i'm so entertained by my comments section.
i need throw more controversial topics out there like this. so many opinions about pink.
As an impartial reader of the blog, I, as a woman, believe that men shouldnt wear pink........especially if they are a nurse.
I don't care if Todd's friends like pink or not...they WILL wear fuschia ties in my wedding. :)
Ok, ok, ok... Pink on a bloke can be a good thing. And blokes can wear pink. But I doubt that i'd choose to wear pink as a matter of personal choice. I am a blue person.
you are a canadian goose.
we've talked about this. that doesn't include blue.
lauren--i'm very proud to stand in a wedding where boys wear fuschia ties.
impartial woman--would you happen to be of the norwegian background and have the initials D.T.
DON'T YOU MAKE ME SING THE REVELATIONS SONG TEMLETT.
Ah... I'd be a Canadian Goose if I was a bird. As a human being I am a blue person.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mike looks like a real prick, any bloke who wears pink is a proper gayer.
Post a Comment
<< Home