okay another reader poll has come upon us.
once my good friend ed said, "brit, i think everyone should live out of their country for atleast five years." interesting, huh? and today i was talking...or more ::ahem:: emotionally vomitting on my friends maurice and hazel. and i thought WHAT BETTER THING TO DO AT THIS VERY MOMENT THAN A READER POLL. i am such a loser.
it's only november, i realize that. however, just for kicks, i was only curious about what your opinions are about what i should do for next year. keep in mind that i want to be exactly where i am RIGHT now but that i'm trying to narrow my options in the coming months. also, keep in mind that i'm not going to make a decision off of this poll because i genuinely have no idea and need to pray about it a lot more than i have, but i'm more curious about those who have been in a similar position to mine (aka recent graduates, career change, life change). so be unbias, if that's possible and off we are:
1. move to some obscure and random place (namely dubai) as an opportunity to see the world and to teach english to ESL students.
2. move back to ohio, possibly the columbus area, to do temporary work for a year until i can decide what the next step is (whether ministry or secular).
3. stay in england indefinitely (atleast for another year or two) and look for work in what i would like to do (atleast for now) involving community work with underprivileged people.
keep in mind that what i want most, even though i'm unsure of how biblical it is, is some stability next year and the ability to sort my head by being outside of ministry.
so post proudly, post anonymously, post with a pseudonym--just throw them out there. you can also add options, for my more creative readers, vincent and bo.
let the battle between brits and yanks commence...
once my good friend ed said, "brit, i think everyone should live out of their country for atleast five years." interesting, huh? and today i was talking...or more ::ahem:: emotionally vomitting on my friends maurice and hazel. and i thought WHAT BETTER THING TO DO AT THIS VERY MOMENT THAN A READER POLL. i am such a loser.
it's only november, i realize that. however, just for kicks, i was only curious about what your opinions are about what i should do for next year. keep in mind that i want to be exactly where i am RIGHT now but that i'm trying to narrow my options in the coming months. also, keep in mind that i'm not going to make a decision off of this poll because i genuinely have no idea and need to pray about it a lot more than i have, but i'm more curious about those who have been in a similar position to mine (aka recent graduates, career change, life change). so be unbias, if that's possible and off we are:
1. move to some obscure and random place (namely dubai) as an opportunity to see the world and to teach english to ESL students.
2. move back to ohio, possibly the columbus area, to do temporary work for a year until i can decide what the next step is (whether ministry or secular).
3. stay in england indefinitely (atleast for another year or two) and look for work in what i would like to do (atleast for now) involving community work with underprivileged people.
keep in mind that what i want most, even though i'm unsure of how biblical it is, is some stability next year and the ability to sort my head by being outside of ministry.
so post proudly, post anonymously, post with a pseudonym--just throw them out there. you can also add options, for my more creative readers, vincent and bo.
let the battle between brits and yanks commence...


16 Comments:
YES! The first post! ::ahem:: As I completely agree with our dear friend Ed (who I'm disappointed has failed to make an appearance in your blog), I would like to add a strong suggestion for those in full-time ministry as well and would be curious to see what others in similar situations have to say as well. After CCC, for 2 years, I love the mission, values, and determination it holds. However, I am also becoming more convinced of the wisdom to step away and see the secular world in its reality for at least a year before continuing in ministry full-time as a career. I'd like to take the time to ask B and the other viewers how much of their life, friends, and relationships are surrounded with other Christians? As I noticed, at least 90% of my life was circulating with brothers and sisters and it was a rarity to be encompassing the lost in my every day adventures. If this is something you have not struggled with, I would like to know your secret. On the other hand, those in the secular world find themselves surrounded 90% of the time with non-believers and have to search out God alone to get them through each day. A wonderful adventure. Brit, my vote is to return to the US and to undergo the transition. To seek out a longer term vision of returning to the UK or some other far off land later. If, in fact, you are debating about returning to southwest Ohio, I would encourage you to look else where for a home away from home and to find a place with deep fellowship and accountability while wading in the waters of the secular world. Thinking logically, I would broaden my scope and look for positions that fit into where you feel God leading you. Look throughout the States, wherever you know even one or two sisters or a solid church where you could live and taste the work of serving those who you love, underpriveleged children or the like. I think this is the longest post! ps I hear Florida has some great opportunities for nonprofit organizations, lots of internationals, and a sun that you've been missiong out on for 2 years. :) Cheers!
After another rainy day in Liverpool, I would recommend somewhere sunny, like Dubai, where you can sample the regional specialities such as camel brains.
if you think that you are getting out of your use of 'k' in krazy with a jackie chan reference... you are correct. he is surley a way out of many
i am predictably going to say stay in england. but i guess that if i knew you or your situation at all then my opinion would count for more.
j.
I want to you to stay. And that is surely partly selfishness, cos you are my friend, and my whole church would miss what you bring.
But I think also that you said a lot about feeling you can belong and serve at Christ Church and that is quite a rare and not-often-to-be-found thing. Which I think means that that should weigh pretty heavily towards staying here.
Is there a reason why default option should be to return to the US?
nominate: stay in England although one of the biggest things I'm learning now is that everything is for His glory even secular stuff, placement gettign in the way of action groups and movement prayer made me angry! and you rpobably learn stuff that applies to evangelism and stuuf there anyway change nomination: undecided
I think I agree with anonymous most. Whilst I think pretty much every student shoudl do at least a years ministry somewhere after graduation, there's a lot about it that has the potential to skew your perspective on the 'real world'. So my (unprayfully) considered opinion would be to look at where you can immerse yourself in the world and yet still be anchored to a place that really supports you. I think finding a job where you have a real passion for what you do, thus allowing you to enage with the non believers co-workers on several levels, is also really important. So somethin like Dubai, where you don't really care about English (at least I don't think you do), would be less preferable to working with kids. I hope some of this makes sense.
I will make the one, weird contrary post to all..especially Treece (that's you right?) and Al... who would have thought? I got a "job" this semester, moved home to where I hardly had any friends and am STRUGGLING to get out of the sick thick Christiandome of Northeast Ohio. All of my managers are believers.. and everyone I work with.. minus one (and i was getting a job to meet people that didn't know Jesus...). I got involved with my church which is healthy and good and a learned lesson from Christ Church, but obviously this would also while providing me with new friends, not break me out of Christiandome. I go to coffee houses and find myself surrounded by strangers who begin talking and find out we are all Christians. (last count... five unrelated people that all began talking and found out they were believers..) This may just be the bubble of 'too many Christians in one place that can be Ohio.' Yet it doesn't stop there. As many friends as I have seen working secular jobs I still see a lot only meeting up with believers. I saw students in Liverpool struggle to have friends that weren't believers and I don't think i need to begin to describe the problems that were the miami christian bubble. I don't think a blanket statement can me made that you will learn real ministry, or how the "real world" works when you leave a ministry titled job. People like to hang out with people like them and the tendency to bubblize life will always be a temptation (as i have seen from my co workers who almost all hang out with only christians). The question is in ministry (we are all in ministry.. so whether that is a title of your vocation or just a part of your identity as a Christian)... how will we spend our time, who will we invest in, who will we seek out, who will we move towards? If I get a job without a min. title (i refuse to call it a real job because min is a real job too).. how will i invest my time and dig into the lives of people. The same question is in a ministry titled job. Will I only disciple people? How well will I get to know their unbelieving friends? Will I choose to spend a significant amount of time with people that dont' believe the same as me? The Christian bubble can become a sad reality no matter what your job title. It is daily decisions on time that will break that. My post might rival anonymous's in length :) haha
I also agree with Mo... don't let the US be your default decision... you do well internationally and the world is at your fingertips... invent something new...
Oh and Brit.. the invitation still stands.. love ya
I hear Maysville, Kentucky needs a few good Christian women to work with either children or women at the women's crisis center.
Get lucky in Kentucky...
Good point Christy. I agree
right. my tuppence-
dont go back and get a temp job in ohio, because after a year i imagine you will arrive around at the same place again and be no less uncertain about your options. Dont go to dubai if youre not that interested and just want a change. I reckon- either rethink an interesting place to go with a good reason for going, OR stay where you are, work four days a week in the workplace and do a bible study course on the fifth ;) ..theres your balance! and then i get to still hang out with you!
by the way ed is always right, no dissin' him..
hmmm. Hows about getting a job, but over here? hmmm? hmmm?
My first honest reaction is get out and see somewhere new, but i'm not too sure thats what you need yet. maybe putting off the inevitable??
Ever considered becoming an au pair? ;)
I know it's completely your decision and you should do whatever's going to make you happiest, but just to throw it out there...what does your family think? Have you discussed it with them? Do you think you could end up permanently living out of the country, and are you prepared to see them 2-3 times a year if that's all you can manage? Just something to consider. Wherever you end up, whether it's the UK, US, Dubai, or Timbuktu, you're a fabulous girl, people love you, and you'll be surrounded by supportive friends.
i've been reading through your messages and i'm muoy impressed. you guys have really made me think about some of the things that go into making this decision. really helpful. and plus, the fact that you've taken your advice so seriously makes me feel ridiculously loved. thank you.
i'll keep you updated on what i decide in the coming 7 months.
brit...i agree with jin about taking a year out to sort yourself in ohio...you could very well be in the same place at the end of the yr you were at the beginning. i'd sit down and think through your strengths/weaknesses along with the things you are passionate about. how are you going to use what the Lord has blessed you with/entrusted to you thus far? i think you are smart for starting this process now, while you have some time to think things through. what's nice about stint is you learn how to have an effective ministry with non-believers and believers, so you're well equipped for the future. goodness there are so many variables involved with jobs and ministries. i agree a lot with 'anon' about the secular workplace...that's where you find non-believers (right?!). i suppose i look more at the business world since that is where my education is. its a super great place to have a ministry, but lets be honest...its not a piece of cake. its SO important that you have a place where you are being fed and encouraged spiritually. i also agree with christy...you can still live inside your bubble, but i think you can intentionally avoid that pit-fall by choosing how and with whom you spend your time. don't over-analyze it sister. i am a master pro at over-analyzation...and would strongly discourage others from falling into that hole. continue to take steps of faith and trust the Lord. i don't have things figured out and quite honestly dont consider myself to be a good decision maker, but this is some of the stuff i've picked up on the road. best of luck with your decision making.
Honestly, it was lovely when Ken quoted Brad's wisdom in that sermnon a couple of Sundays ago, and here he goes again with more words to be put onto Christian calendars.
Sigh. I miss that guy.
what about coming home and SPENDING TIME WITH YOUR FAMILY DANG IT!!! Especially that amazing sister of yours....Can I ask why this isn't an option? HUH?!? HUH?!?!
Post a Comment
<< Home