Thursday, May 19, 2005

Stinkin' Rockin' Band

last night was AWESOME. scrunch up those foreheads and get your pouty faces on my fellow Americans, because I went to see Guster in Manchester. And not only did I get to see Guster, but I totally felt like I was in an episode of the OC the whole time...come on, you know what i mean. the cameras are on the band and it's a small venue and all up close and musically personal. I think at one point the drummer winked at me and then held up his hand with as though he were writing on a piece of paper indicating that he wanted my digits. Alright, that's not true...BUT I was about 10 feet from them.

A rundown of the evening...

We arrived at this club called Night and Day that had this enormous wooden door that kind of made it look like it had been declared condemned by the government. To my surprise, the door opened without falling on top of anyone and we went in to a dark, musty kind of bar, but just the kind of bar that's great for a concert. A guy called Steve Reynolds who hails from America's Largest National Park, or Canada, opened for them and I was well impressed. He did an entirely acoustic set and I'd say that he's got a kind of Bob Dylan flavor (but don't all modern day acoustic musicians) mixed with some David Gray. Whether you like him or not, you've got to give the guy credit...he can play a guitar. He was amazing at picking.

And on to the main event...

Guster is so good live. I can't say it creatively. I can't give you an idea of exactly what it was like. The closest thing I can think of is that their music can send the most straight-laced and seemingly normal fellow into a hippie dance. You know the kind I'm talking about. The girl at the concert who has hair half way down her back, wears spaghetti strapped tank tops and a peasant skirt, and is always doning some sort of satchel made from hemp with a tie-dyed headband. She spins in circles and moves her head around hypnotically as if she looks like she's in a trance. Most of us laugh, but we don't feel the music like hippie girl does---but OH, everyone feels the music like this at a Guster concert. Even the guy in smart clothing starts to groove. Point is: They were good and I now officially want to learn to play both a regular set of drums and a set of bongos. They had one of the most amazing drummers that I've ever laid my eyes on.

Post-Gus....

We stayed for the encore knowing that our train was leaving really shortly. Brad, Jo, Toth, and I were the only ones left at Night and Day (so worth it) and I realized that we had only 15 minutes to make it to our train, I did what any wise girl would do. I took off my cowboy boots, hiked up my jeans, and ran like the dickens to Picadilly Station. Upon our breathless arrival, me and my super sore tootsies found out that we had to BUST it all the way across town because our train was actually leaving from Victoria Station. Ha. Eleven us turn and start running for taxis, literally leap in, arrive at Victoria Station with 4 minutes to spare and then head back to Liverpool.

It was great. A memorable night all in all and one that has given me the motivation to do something musical with my life. Check them out....you won't regret it. Pictures to come.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stinkin' Rockin' Band x1000000 at least...
I am officially a fan and really should hunt down the album in Liverpool before I head home for summer. That guy with the bongos really knew how to bong his stuff: top ace-supremo. Or just plain Bostin' as us hailing from the Black Country are prone to saying. The mad sprint through the city centre only added a nice refreshing spin to the evening, and the encore totally made it worthwhile, the others should be soooo jealous. Also not forgetting the round up of the evening on the journey home with your munchies ay Britt, and the long list of food desires that you drew up on the train??? Ooh, must have a word with Rich about the "Winston" incident, would mention it here, but it deserves a blog all of its own... ;)

8:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guster really do 'stinkin' rock'. I am one of MANY, newly converted, 100% British, fans. Quality stuff. And the guy with bongos/drums/'instruments of world domination' (in his wounded hands anyway) was immense. Too good.. To say he was 'in the zone' would be an understatement. I take my large Paddy's Day Guinness hat off to you my friend...
The journey home too was full of new insights into our esteemed blogger's character. Never have i seen (or heard for that matter) someone dwell on the subject of food with such passion, such committment, such... dare i say it... LOVE. Its good to see you vocalising your true feelings though. Proof that your not a Brit - YET...
And as for 'Winston' then who is this mysterious enigma? Maybe this isn't the forum... Or is it..
And to close if any Americans (or Brits/Kiwis for that matter) want a good laugh then head to www.eurovision.tv and check out the 'inspired' lyrics of some of the entries. Too good.. (If you don't know what Eurovision is then i'm sure our blogging friend will enlighten you soon enough. Ok laters guys...

11:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Federal Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (quite a mouthful) has an amazingly complex song.. Touching lyrics.. Really.. Touching.

http://www.eurovision.tv/english/fyr_macedonia.htm

11:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's more to life than being really really ridiculously good looking, Brittney.... like helping people. People who need help.

9:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ought to help people Brit.

And you want to do something musical with your life.

How about helping me by singing in church?

11:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home