Thursday, June 23, 2005

Reverse Culture Shock

THERE IS SO MUCH WATER IN AMERICAN TOILETS.

i'm constantly thinking that the thing is in the process of overflowing. it's terrifying me.

17 Comments:

Blogger Brittney said...

hey! cool---my very first random post. yeah, i'm a missionary. ha. that sounds funny. i don't feel like one.

i work with university students in the northwest of England (mainly Liverpool and once a week in Manchester)--who most have never heard the Gospel clearly explained and so don't know much about why Jesus died on the cross.

i also train christians who are in liverpool and want to grow.

thanks for your post :)

7:03 pm  
Blogger Rich said...

Going back to the toilet thing then i feel truly educated on the ways of the american lavatory. Thankyou Britmeister...

And this lady is a gifted missionary and discipler.. And an ace friend...

Laters lass

11:54 pm  
Blogger C.K. said...

HAHAHAHA....funny yo think of u or any of the rest of the team as missionaries!!!!! lol

12:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah random post lady, Britt's a mish and stinkin' rockin' at it too. Aaargh, has Christy spoke to you about me leading an Action Group next year Britt??? (gasp with sudden eye-popping motion). :0

2:05 am  
Blogger Brittney said...

i know ck...missionaries are usually associated with like....nepal...or something. i know that'd be the title that i'm assigned, but i still don't feel like one, probably because i get to work with people like you that make my life incredibly easy. it says "missionary" on my UK visa. ha.

thanks for the compliments my peeps. i miss you guys. lots.

jo--i totally think you can lead an action group. pop your eyes back in, it's time to giddy up.

ho ho.

3:29 am  
Blogger Little Mo said...

Enough of this chat about Jesus. Back to toilets.

Brit you are so right about American toilets - I kept having that fear when I was there.

Also, other comments on the issue:
1) american toilets and a lot flatter and shallower than brisith ones, so there is far less uncovered side in the bowl. This means if you are a man it is easy to go to the toilet quietly and discreetly in Britain, but in America this is impossible.

2) American public toilets tend to have funny doors that only "hide" your middle section, revealing your feet and head to the world while you are on the toilet. I didn't like that, as toilet going for me should be an entirely private experience.

3) American boys don't mind being in the shower when someone else is on the toilet. Or maybe that was just Carl and Seth. But I thought that was weird.

9:17 am  
Blogger Little Mo said...

Meaning of course, American toilets ARE a lot flatter and shallower. Soz.

9:18 am  
Blogger andyd said...

Now Mo, you take the words right out of my mouth, when staying with Shaver I was petrified of both the closeness of the water and the prospect of being unable to be descreet. Why do Americans not deem in this in any way odd? Or was this upsetting design a further outworking of independance?

9:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, now i feel educated on the ways of the American toilet. Cheers Mo/Andy... They sound vvvv scary. Personally I think German loos are the way forward. Very German - all efficient and hygenic.. Nice.

4:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone told me French toilets are bad...

5:01 pm  
Blogger Brittney said...

mo--not that i want to admit this, but your last comment is kind of right. not for everyone...but for most. especially if it's a close friend or family member.

i cannot be that there's such an uproar about our bathrooms.

5:35 pm  
Blogger C.K. said...

y is there such a big issue with toilets??!!!

9:08 pm  
Blogger Carrie said...

This is all hilarious, but I had noticed that when boys use the loo it is a lot louder (this being inside a home, I don't freuent the gents toilets). Also we have a ready supply of toilet seat covers (in California, that is) and I love that fact!

9:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey when you actually consider it, toilets are fantastic.
Being home alone at the moment I can go with the door open, so liberating, try it guys...

11:48 pm  
Blogger Sara said...

hey hey hey.....dude, i was freaking out too!! i cant believe this is our first culture shock. people should start warning us about these things in return. kids - thats you too mo, i miss yall! im back and the accent is kicking in as strong as ever. brit - see you soon. lots of love and sorry for just now catching up. ta mates!

11:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HAVE ALWAYS HAD AN ISSUE WITH AMERICAN TOILETS, NO ONE EVER GOT WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT!!! I'M GLAD WE ARE FINALLY AGREED!!!

10:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

side note, french toilets are less toilets and more holes. well they can be. especially in smaller towns in bars and the likes..

10:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home